28 February 2010

The Scream.....an engaging & evocative piece of art!!!!

How many of us have seen this amazing work &  not been touched by it.....well, I for one have not been able to put it away from my mind & I actually happened to see this the first time in a television commercial!!!!

The Scream- A painting by Norwegian artist Edward Munch was based on the expressionist style of painting & was regarded as the most famous of his work. We do often see how an artist's name sells his work but in this case, the artist's work has made him famous & identifiable. 'The scream' had so engulfed the artist's work he actually had to make several copies of this work in different media inorder to deconstruct it.

The painting depicts an agonised figure wailing against a blood red sky. The landscape is from Oslofjord, Norway. Concerning the image, Munch wrote: "I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city - my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature." 

The reason this painting has attained a cult status could be that people have identified & empathised with the emotions in the painting, that being of raw pain & agony.

The painting has also been used in many movies, commercials, cartoons like the 'Simpsons' & has also been the focus of repeated thefts due to the public's fascination with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment